Who We Are:
The Southern Illinois Audubon Society (SIAS) is an organization of 100+ individuals who enjoy feeding, locating, and viewing wild birds and generally share an appreciation of nature. We have members of all ages and all walks of life, from as far north as Springfield and as far south as Metropolis.
The SIAS is an affiliate of the Illinois Audubon Society. Organized more than a century ago and headquartered in Danville, IAS is a non-profit
conservation, education, and lobbying group that specializes in preserving habitat for birds through ownership and stewardship of important blocks of land.
What we do:
We offer monthly programs on nature related topics and organize nature outings to various locations, all free of charge and open to the public. Our members provide educational programs for local schools and other organizations and take part in volunteer programs directed at conserving birds and their habitats.
We invite you to attend our meetings:
We currently hold 10 meetings a year, including a picnic in June and three potluck dinners, and conduct at least one outing a month. For information about our upcoming activities please check our newsletter.
The Southern Illinois Audubon Society...
- sustains local bluebird trails. Some of our members monitor 35-40 boxes each, from March through August, at Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge and Green Earth, Inc., Carbondale. More than 5,000 Eastern Bluebirds have been fledged through this project.
- supports the Cache River Stewardship. Several of our members regularly volunteer in these monthly work projects to create and maintain trails, plant trees and help in other ways with the restoration of the Cache river and its water shed.
- is an affiliate of the Illinois Environmental Council. Founded in 1975, the IEC is a not-for-profit coalition of individuals and organizations committed to advocacy for a healthful environment and stewardship of natural resources.
- is an official supporter of Teaming With Wildlife. More than 2,100 organizations, agencies and businesses are lobbying for an outdoor product excise tax that would be returned to the states and used for conservation and environmental projects.
- is an official supporter of Partners in Flight. This coalition of more than 150 government and state agencies and organizations is committed to conserving birds and their habitats across the Western Hemisphere.
- has given thousands of dollars to local organizations. Each year we raise and donate money to many worthwhile projects in our area such as Free Again Wildlife Rehabilitation, the Carbondale Science Center and the Nature Conservancy.
Environmental Action Alert!! Save the Cache River!
PUMA | Birdseed List
A multi-purpose sealer for almost any surface!
Check it out!
©1999-2012 Southern Illinois Audubon Society